Monday, February 05, 2007

In Memory of Ofir Damari

March 15, 2004

To all of you that know me, and have had the opportunity of discussing with me the political and current affairs of the state of Israel. You may have noticed how quick I am at dismissing the turmoil that is around us in Israel stating that this is something that seems much bigger than it really is. I usually add that statistically it is safer to live in Israel then in the US or Europe (crime and all) and I am probably still right.

Well as I was coming back from a meeting in Toronto and my wife called, she has just returned from a funeral. It seems that yesterday regardless to statistics, reality has shown its ugly face, and I found myself calling my sister in-law asking to share with her the grief of her loss apologizing that I can't be there for her in person. Her brother was one of the seven Israelis that died in this senseless suicide bomb attack in the Ashdod port in Israel where he worked.

Now the statistics have a name, a face, and memories of a good man, a loving husband, a caring father, a protecting brother, a friend to all that knew him and a son that will be out lived by his parents.

Why am I writing this?

The trigger was the cracking voice of a loving sister that has not even began to grasp the reality of her loss and my inability to find any words of comfort at her darkest hour.

May we know no more sorrow

Alon Blankstein

this was written back in March 15, 2004 in Toronto far far from home from a place that was once my home

No comments: